Thursday, March 20, 2008

Where are college bloggers? HERE I AM!

I have been inspired.

While there are seriously a million (or about 10) other things that I should be doing right now, there is one thing that has caught my attention.

In Julia Roy's latest post titled "Dear Marketing and Communications Students," she wonders where college aged bloggers are...


And well, here I am... but this is a question that Julia is not the only blogger to ask. I have been wondering the very same question. Not only for myself, but for my communications research class project. See, I am keeping my social media obsession very much alive! 

Blogs are such valuable tools for soon-to-be grads for a few simple reasons:
1. we can learn about / get in touch with industry trends
2. we can meet people.
3. its impressive to employers (or at least that is what I am hoping ) (ill get back to you on this!)
4. and once again, we can meet people!

So where are my fellow bloggers?
1. are we too busy? I do have trouble finding time to pursue my SM, but I am always thinking about it. I had a show, midterms and break in the month of March -- but I'm a loyal blogger... back for more! 
2. are we not being taught to do this? Just because it isnt assigned, why can't we do some extra writing? It certainly wouldn't hurt!
3. If I am intrigued by your thoughts/opinions in class, couldn't we all benefit from sharing ideas online too?

more on this later.

2 comments:

Julia Roy said...

You raise some great points here. I received a lot of responses on twitter in the defense of students the most popular being they are not being taught social media by their professors. I say, no excuse. I did not go to school for marketing, I learned social media through podcasts and blogs.

I also think just because you are a marketing student doesn't mean you need to blog about marketing. If you have a hobby, interest in politics, current events, celebrities... whatever. I would be impressed if a student came to me and said "yah, I blog about celebrity scandals" because that is truely what social media is all about, having passion on a topic or several topics and talking about it.

:)

Eric Shonkwiler said...

Well, here's one. I manage because I'm graduated, so there's some extra time, and I'm a writer by hopeful trade, so it's my job.