Thursday, January 31, 2008

I am a WOMAN -- a young, modern 2008 outlook to being a W - O - M - A - N

There has been a lot on my mind recently.
Unfortunately, I have been so busy with work and school and rehearsing for my show, that I have had little time to post.
But, rest assured... I have plenty to say.

I have been thinking a lot about how women are being marketed to both online and offline. Yes, there was the superbowl a few weeks ago (see, I really have been busy). Sure, there were some cute commercials with some interesting messages... thank you Victoria's Secret. Thank you Sun Silk ... Whatever. But what I have been thinking about is the messages that TV has been sending me. There are 2 new TV shows that I have been checking out, Cashmere Mafia and Lipstick Jungle. Both shows similarly portray powerful, successful women. Great message, right!? But, these women also face major struggles due to their inability to balance their crazy, chaotic lives. (honestly, now that the writers have their jobs back, lets twist these shows around and give these girls some substance. Ok, thanks. ) Sure they can afford fabulous clothing and an extravagant lifestyle.. but this show seems to suggest that's not enough. With viewers tuning in to check out where they go, what they are wearing and what bag they are carrying (not to mention the iphones in last week's episode), is that all this show really is? Sadly, it seems that not one of the women on these shows is strong enough to handle their social lives/family ties and their businesses which is inevitably leading charactors to have affairs, divorce and inner turmoil - which of course can always be healed with a hug from a close friend or a drink.

Is this what my generation has to look forward to? Are you saying that we really can't have fabulous shoes, a great job and blissful married life? Was Carrie Bradshaw right? Can we ever really have it all? Sure maybe one day we will get to be president... but will that be enough?

No comments: