Sunday, January 20, 2008

McDonalds Shocks Us Again... Will Lattes be featured on the dollar menu?

Lets play a little game,
It's called name the first thing that comes to your mind...

When I say BOSTON you say...
FREEZING (especially today!)

When I say STARBUCKS you say ...
Expensive coffee that isn't very good, but you buy it regardless.

When I say McDonalds you say...
Cheap, bad ambiance, and of course FRENCH FRIES
not coffee, right?

As you might have heard, McDonalds will soon be brewing up fancy coffee beverages.
When I think of Vanilla Lattes and Caramel Cappuccinos, I don't think of McD's...
But maybe soon I will.

There are a few things that I find really interesting about this latest move.

As I have already demonstrated, I just don't think of McDonalds when I'm in the mood for a coffee beverage. Call me materialistic or vain or whatever you want, McD's is a child's restaurant, a greasy fast food chain -- NOT a cool, relaxing place to get a coffee and veg out.

Will this change? who knows.

Coming from NY, there has always been a "cool factor" associated with Starbucks. Walking around the mall, or my high school (welcome to Long Island) it was cool to have a starbucks drink. Sure, I was young. Sure I just wanted to fit-in. But McD's was NEVER cool. It was never trendy to walk around with a happy meal. Will it be cool to walk around with a McD's latte?
I DOUBT IT.

Now, not to get all political on you, but there seems to be one thing on everyone's mind with this upcoming election.
THE ECONOMY.
So, the big question in my mind (regarding this whole thing) is:
Will Americans sacrifice ambiance and trendiness to save a few bucks?
Will Mc'D expand their McWorld?
Will I ever really walk into McD and order a McLatte?

Only time will tell.

No comments: