Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Look out world, Here I come!

I happened to glance down at PR week yesterday, and was stunned to see this article about large agencies using social media to recruit people like me! I'm sure you can imagine how excited I was about this.

This article mostly discussed agencies using new media as a research tool to find out more information about their latest candidate and also to find interested candidates.



This idea opens a whole new can of worms concerning my generations usage of facebook and other social networking sites and how this represents our true personality. An interesting part of this article discussed agencies using the youtube videos they made as comedic representations of an internship (as thats what this article focused on)... but this got me thinking, are we as potential employees being held to an unfair standard?

Agencies realize the power of a funny, well thought-out online video advertisement and how this appeals to a college demographic. But why is it, that if we use a similar theme on our social networking sites, its suddenly looked down upon.

Of course, I understand the need to maintain professionalism, and I certainly have thought twice about what is posted online about me, but I think its also important to remember the human nature of these sites. The scariest part, is that everyone is looking.

Don't get me wrong. I love social media and I think it has the power to do great things for me and my generation. I am extremely glad that so many big agencies are open to use it, and realize the power it has as an influential marketing tool. I'm just interested to see whats gonna happen in the future!

No comments: